Re: [gNewSense-users] Launchpad to be released under GNU AGPLv3

From: Dara Adib
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Launchpad to be released under GNU AGPLv3
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 20:29:46 -0500

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 3:54 AM, Graziano Sorbaioli <address@hidden> wrote:
> If I install Ubuntu 8.10, my wifi functions but there is no proprietary
> driver listed on the "Driver Hardware" windows of Ubuntu.

The driver for the wireless chipset is free and included in Linux.
However, the chipset requires (non-free[1]) binary firmware in order
to function. The binary firmware is included in the Ubuntu package
linux-firmware, but not included in gNewSense for obvious reasons.

As a side note, linux-firmware is in Ubuntu main (meant for free
Canonical-supported software), but there is a bug[2] open for it to be
moved to restricted (meant for non-free Canonical-supported software).

Cheers,
Dara

[1] http://intellinuxwireless.org/?n=FAQ&s=license
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-firmware/+bug/179139