Re: [gNewSense-users] patents and copyright [was: live cd]

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] patents and copyright [was: live cd]
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:18:00 -0500

Ted Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 21:47 -0500, Quiliro Ordóñez wrote:
>> Sorry, correction
>>
>> No copyright, no need of the GPL. ;-)
>>
> If there's no copyright, we can't magically summon source from anywhere.
> We can just copy binaries without any persecution. In the meantime,
> software hoarders will take free source code and put shackles on it.
>
> Without copyright, our movement would die. It's not secret that current
> copyright law is downright orwellian, but we still need something to
> keep things free.

I agree with you on this.   I tend towards rms's view that the original
copyright (a 14 year copyright, renewable for another 14 years if you
bother to send in the paperwork) is more than adequate for anything.

That would mean copyleft still works, but remove the excesses of modern
copyright law.

Matt Flaschen