Re: [gNewSense-users] patents and copyright [was: live cd]

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] patents and copyright [was: live cd]
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:25:19 -0500

2009/1/13 Tor at Shared Genius <address@hidden>
Quiliro Ordóñez wrote:

2009/1/13 Eus <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>

   Hi Ho!

   --- On Tue, 1/13/09, Quiliro Ordóñez <address@hidden
   <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

   >  No it is not. Once software is free under a free license,
   > whoever got it
   > alwasys will have that part as free software. Whoever got
   > it as nonfree
   > without copyright would be able to at least execute and
   > reverse engineer.
   > Much better than before.....don't you think.

   No, I don't think so. Reverse-engineering is much more difficult
   than just compiling the source code.

I agree on that. You still don't have the code when you have copyright. There is no advantage for us to have copyright. It's a disadvantage. If we elimintate copyright, at least we will advance one step forward.
Which is exactly why we need copyright, but /only/ until we have other means of keeping software free.  Near as I can tell, the GPL and enforcement of it is the most significant reasons we are able to maintain software freedom once it is attained.  If there is no copyright anyone will be able to take a free program, make some changes, (perhaps only breaking changes, if it is a big company,) and release it binary only.

That is a good point. We should analyse ways to make a stronger way to solve this problem.

--
Saludos/Greetings
Quiliro Ordóñez