[gNewSense-users] RMS about GLX

From: Jorge Benavides Escobillana
Subject: [gNewSense-users] RMS about GLX
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 21:17:54 -0300

Omar Botta, former gNewSense user and currently a Trisquel user, wrote
Richard Stallman about the status of GLX in both GNU/Linux
distributions.

I translate his question and the answer from RMS:

        Richard,

        I'm confused about the freedom of 3D acceleration in GNU/Linux.

        The distribution I'm currently using is Trisquel 2.1. It uses
        AIGLX, which depends on OpenGL (the library is libgl1-mesa). All
        GNU/Linux distributions recommended by GNU have 3D, except
        gNewSense.

        Users of the GNU system have been discussing about this.

        What is your opinion about this issue?

        Thanks

        Omar Botta

RMS answer:

                The distribution I'm currently using is Trisquel 2.1. It
                uses AIGLX, which depends on OpenGL (the library is
                libgl1-mesa). All GNU/Linux distributions recommended by
                GNU have 3D, except gNewSense.

        A year ago we discovered non-free code in OpenGL, but some
        months ago we convinced the developer to liberate it.

        While we were trying to convince him, I decided not to ask
        everyone to remove the code immediately. There was no rush.

Does it mean that gNewSense can now restore the removed GLX code?