Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Make MIPS gNewSense from Debian packages

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Make MIPS gNewSense from Debian packages
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 21:04:59 +1030

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 09:27:34 -0500
Daniel Clark <address@hidden> wrote:

> Koh Choon Lin wrote:
> >> I'm not going to try to tell the devs which to choose.  However, I
> >> will say that when I was a GNU/Linux newbie, I tried Debian before
> >> Ubuntu with less than successful results.  Since then, I think
> >> Debian has become more newbie-friendly, though (e.g. adding a
> >> graphical installer).
> >
> > How would the issue of deciding the starting platform be settled?
> > Debian-way a la by voting?
>
> We probably need to formalize how decisions like this are made - I'd
> be fine with just copying Debian's way of doing it, with perhaps veto
> power for the FSF campaigns team (rms/mattl/peterb/johns - not me) so
> no changes could ever be made that would cause gNewSense to become
> non-FSF approved.

Personally, I have an issue with people who are perceived to not do
anything having a power of veto over the project. I say perceived
because the FSF campaigns team might do all sorts of stuff for gNS, but
its not public/obvious.
My other thought goes something like 'why should the fsf stop gNS
becoming no complient?'. If it does, the FSF should stop
supporting/endorsing it. If it doesn't, then it should be able to roll
along as it needs/wants.

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian user / gNewSense contributor
http://www.kgoetz.id.au