Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Make MIPS gNewSense from Debian packages?

From: avr
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Make MIPS gNewSense from Debian packages?
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 16:17:53 +0100

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 03:24:24PM -0500, Danny Clark wrote:
> Richard M Stallman wrote:
> > Robert Millan is arguing that it is ok to make the MIPS version of
> > gNewSense from Debian packages, even while continuing to make the x86
> > version of gNewSense from Ubuntu packages.  He argues that they are
> > sufficiently similar that users won't find the difference surprising
> > or annoying.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I think we should have gNewSense/d(ebian) and gNewSense/u(buntu) (or
> some other naming scheme, haven't thought about that one a lot), and let
> people choose if they want to use a 100% free variant of Debian or Ubuntu.

Initially I think we should stick with Ubuntu. gNewSense to me is very much
a mainstream end-user product, and for all it's memory hogging and shiny
interfaces, the
ubuntu installer is friendlier than a debian one, and its standard install
and desktop is familiar to a lot of people.

Having a complete mipsel ubuntu port would give gnewsense a technical
distinction as
well as a philosophical one.

If the task turns out to be too much work or technically too complicated, we
can still
use debian as a base for a mipsel version (which could basically be a
debootstrap with some
PFV applied).

        friendly,
        Andreas