[gNewSense-users] Re: Make MIPS gNewSense from Debian packages?

From: Danny Clark
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: Make MIPS gNewSense from Debian packages?
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:24:24 -0500

Richard M Stallman wrote:
> Robert Millan is arguing that it is ok to make the MIPS version of
> gNewSense from Debian packages, even while continuing to make the x86
> version of gNewSense from Ubuntu packages.  He argues that they are
> sufficiently similar that users won't find the difference surprising
> or annoying.
>
> What do you think?

I think we should have gNewSense/d(ebian) and gNewSense/u(buntu) (or
some other naming scheme, haven't thought about that one a lot), and let
people choose if they want to use a 100% free variant of Debian or Ubuntu.

If we do base the MIPS port on Debian, I see no reason other than
possible lack of manpower why we wouldn't want to have all of the below
(although it's mostly scriptable, so once the coding is done it wouldn't
take a whole lot more man-hours):

* gNewSense/d for mipsel (possibly with some additional
optimized-for-loongson 2f packages)
* gNewSense/d for x86_32 (i386)
* gNewSense/d for x86_64 (amd64)
* gNewSense/u for x86_32 (i386)
* gNewSense/u for x86_64 (amd64)

The FSF would be happy to provide disk space etc. for all of these. That
machine is actually up now, just need to coordinate the transition with
people (short amount of downtime for all the gnewsense.org sites).

--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny