Re: [gNewSense-users] The process "totem" become Uninterruptible

From: Jean Schurger
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] The process "totem" become Uninterruptible
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:30:04 -0500

About totem, you double-check the user running 'totem', you cannot
(unless you are root) kill a process you've not started.
'ps aux' will show you 'all' process, with a row telling the 'owner'
of the process.

About the zombies, ... a zombie cannot be killed, as it's already
dead :)

On linux, a zombie is only an entry on the process list, but have no
file descriptor open, and use no resources. You can forget it.
It occurs then a process send the signal of its end to his parent, and
at this time, the parent don't catch the signal (because it's blocked on
an IO or something like this).