Re: [gNewSense-users] how to install gNewSense on my Dell Inspiron 1000

From: Graziano Sorbaioli
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] how to install gNewSense on my Dell Inspiron 1000
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 09:33:36 +0100

Bubba cakes wrote:

> i want to install free OS with free software, because... well.... i'm poor.

Hi Bubba and welcome to our community!
gNewSense is a fully free as in freedom and as in free beer GNU/Linux
operating system so it is the right choice for you.

> so i downloaded the gNewSense deltah iso image file, and i can't get
> it on the computer.

If you downloaded the iso file then you have two options:
a) open it with a burning software and burn it on a cdrom
b) copy it to a usb key and use a software like isostick or fusbi to
install it on your computer.

> but i can't do anything with it.  why are there no instructions as to
> how to work with this file?  do the developers want the users to
> figure how to do things by googling for every step?  it's so
> difficult!  i need instructions!  i was born computer illiterate and
> didn't go to computer college.

I'm sorry you couldn't find good instructions on how to use it.
Look here if it can help:

http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Documentation/Documentation

We are doing all the best to give to the users the best documentation
possible but we are a small group and there are so many things to do!

> here's what i DID do.  i was able to mount it, whatever that means,
> but couldn't find where to run it, install it, tell it "go!", whatever
> it wants to hear to get on my computer and work.  it's frustrating.
>
> is gNewSense just for the computer literate?

Absolutely not.
We are making a great effort so that gNewSense could be used by everyone.
If you can explain us your problems better maybe we can help you.

Thank you very much again for joining the fight for freedom and our
community.

- --
Graziano Sorbaioli -- www.sorbaioli.org
Support freedom?
Join the Free Software Foundation: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=5796
Supporters will receive our new USB membership card with gNewSense Live
NO EMAIL from gmail accounts, >1Mb, html, ms-office files