Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: free netbook lemote yeeloong available

From: Eus
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: free netbook lemote yeeloong available
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 17:52:27 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ho!

--- On Sun, 11/30/08, Graziano Sorbaioli <address@hidden> wrote:

> The Lemote Yeeloong is fully free: bios, ethernet, wireless
> and so on.
> AFAIK it uses PMON firmware:
> http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/PMON

The information on the site does not look promising.
Particularly, it says, "CVS access is supposed to be available but is not."
Humm... well, okay, I downloaded pmon54.tar.gz from the front page and the
license is a free license, not copyleft. Anyway, that's good enough, I think.

> The wireless has a free driver too.

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/rtl8187 says that RTL8187B is
supported. But, what about the license in the source code?
Okay, following the link on the page, I found this page:
http://www.datanorth.net/~cuervo/blog/rtl8187b-drivers-and-patches/
There I downloaded rtl8187b-unmodified-realtek.tar.gz. The license says GPLv2.
Great!
One think left, is there any binary blobs? Hopefully there is none. But, I
haven't checked it myself.

> The only problem now is that it comes with Debian so the
> FSF is
> searching for volunteer to port gNewSense to MIPS
> architecture.
>
> If you know someone who can do the job, please pass the
> word and tell
> him/her to contact the FSF:  info (chiocciola) fsf.org

Alright. But, is owning one of the laptop a prerequisite to work on this job?
This job is not limited for those who stay in the U.S., right?

> - --
> Graziano Sorbaioli -- www.sorbaioli.org
> Support freedom?
> Join the Free Software Foundation:
> http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=5796
> Supporters will receive our new USB membership card with
> gNewSense Live
> NO EMAIL from gmail accounts, >1Mb, html, ms-office
> files

Best regards,

Eus (FSF member #4445)

In this digital era, where computing technology is pervasive,

your freedom depends on the software controlling those computing devices.

Join free software movement today!

It is free as in freedom, not as in free beer!

Join: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=4445