Re: [gNewSense-users] ideas & suggestions about gNewSense

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ideas & suggestions about gNewSense
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 19:46:17 +0100

Torsten Behrens wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am a gNewSense user, living in Northern Germany and for a few weeks now, I
am also
corresponding with Richard Stallman via email. I wrote Richard several of my
ideas and
suggestions for the future version(s) of gNewSense, because myself I am no
computer
expert at all -- I only do have basic knowledge, but not in programming nor
editing the reps
sources, etc.
Maybe, you're also interested in my suggestions and ideas.

Here are some things that should be preinstalled in gNewSense (in my view):

- free graphic drivers support (for Nvidia or ATI). It's strange that EnvyNG
is available for
gNewSense, but I still have not found any solution(s) how to
activate/install my Nvidia
graphic driver with EnvyNG at gNewSense.
- free GNU versions of the "Firefox 3" browser (i.e. IceCat) and also for
"Thunderbird"
(Icedove), because these browsers are more popular than Epiphany, or
Evolution as
default email program.
- more free multimedia players, maybe a free GNU version of the popular VLC
Media
Player of a GNU alternative of the Gnome MPlayer, etc.
- OpenJDK also should be preinstalled at gNewSense (or IcedTea with Open
Java
applets).
- a free Flash Player (that also works!)
- preinstalled free multimedia codecs (like Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Musepack,
etc.). For
newbies at gNewSense it's very frustrating, confusing & irritating to
install all these codecs,
unless they knows what should be install and what not! Make things for
newcomers a bit
easier! Myself, I was sitting hours at my computer, to find out what (free)
codecs I should
install and which not.
If all these things (above) are preinstalled at gNewSense's next edition(s),
so I am quite
sure that more and more people would switch to gNewSense. I am a great
supporter of
gNewSense and I like your philosophy of 100% free software, but remember
that some
things for newcomers -or people with little computer knowledge- are a bit
too
complicated. That's why some things really should be preinstalled to make
things easier
for people to use gNewSense. Make gNewSense as easy as "Linux Mint", but
with 100%
free software preinstalled, not with properitary softwares as in Linux Mint.
That's my
suggestion.

Can you please also tell me when gNewSense's next edition will be released?
I didn't find
any information about the next edition on the gNewSense's website. I am
curious to know!
I hope that my email was kind of inspiration for you and your team.

Thank you very much for listening.

Torsten Behrens

Those are all great ideas and we have thought of most of them ourselves already. The reason they have not been implemented is lack of manpower. That is also why there hasn't been another major release to follow Intrepid yet. Word on the street is that we're aiming for the LTS releases.

You say that you have no programming or packaging skills, which are needed to implement your ideas. However, you don't need to be some kind of guru to help gNewSense move forward. There are lots of ways you can help:

* Learn packaging: the most recent Ubuntu Open Week session [1] is probably a good introduction. If you want to learn more I'm sure Ubuntu's MOTU team are willing to help. And some people around here also know a bit about that.

* Learn programming: Python is a very accessible language. Go through some of Dive Into Python [2] to see if that's your thing.

* If you're good with pencil and paper (or drawing tablet and canvas) you can help shape gNewSense's visual identity. Subscribe to the gNewSense-art mailing list and volunteer.

* If you're good with words documentation might be more interesting to you. Register on the wiki and start cleaning up that mess, even if it's just spell checking.

* If you have a basic understanding of the GPL and other free licenses and you can distinguish readable code from unreadable blobs you can help out with freedom verification. Download the kernel [3] and the Emacs helper script [4] and start verifying [5]. This sounds harder than it actually is.

* If you have good people skills, then advocacy or marketing is for you. Tell people about gNewSense and free software. Provide ideas to the rest of us on how to market gNewSense. Give the artwork team ideas for more pretty pictures. Lobby inside the Ubuntu community to make things easier for us. Write/podcast/sing/mime about gNS.

* Translate the website and set up a community in your language.

* Provide feedback to what other people are doing. Not only on the mailing list, but also on IRC or in the forum. Help them improve their work and let them know it's appreciated.

* Know of all these ways to help (and more [6]) and try to attract more contributors. Any help is very much appreciated.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/openweekintrepid/Packaging
[2] http://diveintopython.org/
[3] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Image
[4] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Kfv-script
[5] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/DocumentingYourWork
[6] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/HowToHelp

Thanks for your comments, Torsten.

By the way, did RMS give you any feedback?

Regards,

Samgee