Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Changing the forum

From: James Freer
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Changing the forum
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:14:24 +0100

2008/8/20 Yavor Doganov <address@hidden>:
> Ali Gunduz wrote:
>>
>> I think it is time to change the current forum configuration and
>> have a more 'conventional' forum.
>
> I didn't know that gNS had a forum.
>
> Why not just teach all the "forum people" to learn the basics of
> electronic communication -- how to cite properly, avoid top-posting,
> etc. and learn the principle of avoiding annoying others and
> respecting their time -- and finally, annihilate the forum (and all
> nefarious facilities of that kind) once and for all?  It is a
> nuisance, unmaintainable, un-followable and un-replyable mess, and a
> genuinely bad idea just like the "invention" of HTML mail and all the
> gancy (sic) things that followed it.
>
> Not that I want to sound ironic, but why didn't you post this request
> to the forum?  (Hint: Because no sane person reads forums, and it
> would be like a voice in a desert.  Even people who read them can't
> follow all the possible posts, simply because that's not feasible and
> doesn't scale even in the slightest way.)

A lot of what you've said i'm 100% in agreement with. I hate
attempting to follow the threads and often ending up on another. But a
lot like them.

"how to cite properly, avoid top-posting"
Perhaps you'd be kind enough to give me some tuition on citing. As for
top posting... i thought it was preferred as one can just briefly look
at the previous post and reply. I belong to a number of yahoogroups on
classic cars. Bottom posting is better for that as folk can comment
and correct others - chronological order being the useful natural flow
of information. Also it chops off all the virus and yahoo signatures
for those that wish to archive discussions on particular topics. I
notice that Thunderbird and other mail clients have switched to bottom
posting but never found any explanation.

But then users of Gmail have the advantage that it doesn't matter
which way as Gmail presents emails in conversations - this can be
irritating too though as replies can alternate between top and bottom.

james