[gNewSense-users] Re: xfont-core and GLX Public License

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: xfont-core and GLX Public License
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:37:31 +0300

[ Replying to an old thread. ]

At Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:20:38 +0300,
Kaloian Doganov wrote:
> Kevin Dean writes:
>
>     This means that the source package for xorg-server has non-free in the
>     following files:
>     GL/glx/glxext.c
>     hw/dmx/glxProxy/glxext.c
>
>     and therefore CONFIRMS bug 129
>     (http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00129).
>
> I wonder, does anybody bothered to report this problem upstream (to X
> developers)?

While investigating the status of this problem in Debian, I found out
it's an old issue:

<http://bugs.debian.org/211765>
<http://bugs.debian.org/368560>

Just take a look at the age of the bugs and those `-ignore' tags.  I
guess a `lenny-ignore' tag will be added too; by quickly skimming
through the bug logs my impression is that they're waiting for
upstream to fix this, and upstream is waiting for someone to *rewrite*
the offending code, but it appears that nobody is working on this
task.  I feel even a prouder gNS user now :-}

Upstream is perfectly aware of this; recent discussion:

<http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2008-May/035069.html>

Unrelated, but I accidentally came upon this bug report:

<http://bugs.debian.org/383465> (xserver-xorg-video-nv)

According to (at least) the linux-libre folks deliberately obfuscated
code to the extent that it's not possible to exercise even one of the
freedoms effectively renders the code non-free.  I couldn't agree
more.  Worth looking at.