[gNewSense-users] Re: VLC is non free?

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: VLC is non free?
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 23:03:18 +0300

Bruno Miguel wrote:

> I'm using Totem, the default Gnome media player, and apart from not
> displaying subtitles without a plugin, it works great.

Well, what does that mean?  I see you're using Balsa (which is a fine
mailer I've used in its early days), but I'm using Wanderlust and Mutt
now, and they work great.  :-)

Now seriously -- VLC is free software, and also popular and useful
free software.  There are some features in VLC that are not in Totem,
and not everyone runs GNOME or prefers GNOME applications.  The
absence of this package in gNS is a regression, and claiming anything
else is just sweeping the problem under the carpet.

(JFTR, I agree that the presense of non-free software is MUCH bigger
problem than the absence of free software.  It is just annoying to see
things missing because of some corporate fears upstream.)