[gNewSense-users] Re: if you have done any kernel dev work please contac

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: if you have done any kernel dev work please contact me offlist
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 20:56:43 -0400

Paul O'Malley wrote:
> I have a non brownie point job that needs doing, maybe you can influence
> others to work on this issue as I see it also.
>
> My reason for this is to find out how hard it would be to do this task I
> am interested in.
>
> Furthermore I believe it would help all upstreams and their downstreams,
>  from the mm tree down!

I have a friend who does kernel consulting work, so if this is something
you/your job would want to fund, I could put you in touch.

Probably if you just wrote up the spec and put it here / in a blog post
/ etc you'd be more likely to get useful responses.

On a vaguely related note, I recently ran across this blog post:
http://www.kroah.com/log/2005/11/21/

I emailed the author and he said it's still trivial to change the kernel
to prevent it from loading any non-GPLv2 kernel modules.

Is this, or a tool like WGA [1] (but non-evil) that would notify (and
only notify) the user if non-GPLv2 kernel modules were loaded be
something people would be interested in?

I think Ubuntu has something vaguely similar, except its point is to
tell you that there are restricted drivers available for your hardware,
and it offers to install them for you.

[1] Description of the Windows Genuine Advantage
    Notifications application
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474