Re: [gNewSense-users] The next highest priorities for gNewSense?

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] The next highest priorities for gNewSense?
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:22:10 +0100

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:
Bake Timmons wrote:
<snip>

Of course, quickly finding bugs is especially important given the
upgrade cycle and scarce manpower.  Thus, I have interrupted my quiet
activity in the arch section and have started to look for freedom bugs
in the Debian BTS by doing this search in Google Groups(*) (and
sorting by date):

(licensing OR licensed OR non-free) group:linux.debian.bugs.dist

<snip>

That all makes sense to me. We want to get to a free state as quickly as possible, so it's logical to look at the more suspicious parts first.

It'd be nice to finish off the Kernel. While we've completed sound+drivers, which is where I'd expect the vast majority of the non-free stuff to be,  there's still a few thousand files to be checked and we've been caught by suprise before.

Checking external BTS is a good idea from a tactical standpoint, but strageically we need to do the full check of kernel/main/universe to be sure we're free.

Brian