[gNewSense-users] Re: New deputy for Kernel Freedom Verification KFV sum

From: Danny Clark
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: New deputy for Kernel Freedom Verification KFV summary statistics table
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 16:51:29 -0400

Chris Andrew wrote:
> Lee and I have asked Christophe (Pitof) to act as the deputy for the
> _Kernel Freedom Verification KFV summary statistics table_ work;
> Christophe has kindly accepted.  This will mean that he will
> co-ordinate the maintenance of this work, so that everything is up to
> date for the weekly summary.  Additionally, this will allow everyone
> to see how well the kernel checking is going.
>
> I hope everyone will help Christophe, should he need it.

Cool - I signed up as owner to do summary statistics on some base
directories that said "NEED ADOPTING" or something like that before
noticing this message - should those be transfered to one of you guys?
If not, I'm happy to do it - is it manual at this point? I vaguely
remember seeing a reference to a stats.sh script somewhere, but I can't
find it now.

Manually looking through the wiki for things that needed to be done, it
looks like 100% of the files have now been looked at, and there are just
a few files with open questions regarding their freedom, and a few that
have been verified as non-free.

So is it just waiting and seeing what happens to the questionable files
at this point, or can we go ahead with a preliminary build of the
modules without the known-bad and questionable files, to get a lot of
people's sound etc. working again?

If we can do that, is any builder script hacking help needed?

> Work is always available, should people feel they would like to push
> gNS forward in the future.  Just have a look at this evolving list:
>
> http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/CurrentProjects

I put my name next to some things I / the Free Software Foundation are
interested in helping with sooner rather than later - specifically, we
(and anyone else who wants to run gNS on servers) really need 64-bit
support.

--
Danny Clark # Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
# http://www.fsf.org # http://opensysadmin.com