Re: [gNewSense-users] Tool in repos suggesting non-free drivers

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Tool in repos suggesting non-free drivers
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 22:21:31 +0200

Bruno Miguel wrote:
So, between Nouveau, Vesa and VGA, what would you recommend for an
NVidia GForce FX 5600 (old one, I know)?

If bug 187 [1] is valid, we need to leave some nouveau components out (in the short term). That is likely to render the driver useless.

I think one of the nouveau guys said at FOSDEM that the nv driver is really obfuscated and so arguably non-free as well. I don't know how that (should) affect gNewSense.

So maybe Vesa is your only option in gNewSense, which isn't that bad on an LCD monitor if you don't need 3D.

(To my knowledge, VGA is not a driver but a standard screen resolution.)

[1] http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00187