Re: [gNewSense-users] KFV non-free reporting should recurse

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] KFV non-free reporting should recurse
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:05:21 -0400

>> Apart from being wrong, it is also less useful to put, say, "N/A" in
>> top-level section *just* on the basis of files in the immediate
>> corresponding directory.  The reader wants to quickly zero in on
>> problems and is best served by the correct organization of non-free
>> reporting.
>>
>> What do you think?  Unless I am wrong here, I will update kfv.el to do
>> this right.
>>

> I thought kfv.el was more for marking the freedom status per file and
> that the summary script bubbled all the numbers up the tree from the
> leafs on. Or do we have to manually update the percentages of every
> directory up the branch when we complete a section?
>
> Anyway, I agree that it should work the way you say it should.

Yes, you are right.  I was just noting that this is not done in
general it seems, whether through other scripts or hand editing, etc.
Moreover, kfv.el is incomplete here, since it does not automatically
incorporate info from adopted leaves.  This is now being fixed, as a
part of incorporating all relevant adopted info.

I also expect to implement the latest advice from Brian regarding
output more useful for batch non-free file removal.