Re: [gNewSense-users] KFV: how to handle COPYING?

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] KFV: how to handle COPYING?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:35:39 +0200

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
On Jun 23, 2008, Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

The file COPYING containing the GPL [...] Right at the top it says:

"... but changing it is not allowed."

It's not even software, it doesn't make sense to require it to be Free
Software.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html
may give you a better idea of what we're aiming at when we speak of a
100% Free Software distro.

Hmm, I don't think I made myself clear. I wasn't asking whether the file is free (software) or not, or whether or not it should be removed.

My point is that:

1) according to KFV Flow (as found in http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/DocumentingYourWork) this file is non-free and a bug should be raised for it. Most of know that this doesn't apply to COPYING, but it might confuse newbies wanting to help.

2) kfv.el doesn't provide for these kinds of files. COPYING is non-free [1] and the script doesn't distinguish between software and the rest. So technically the column "Percentage of section certified free" would be 0%. There should probably be an option to mark it as "N/A" or something.

3) the summary script might have problems handling values for that column other than those we have used up to this point.

So I'm not saying there's a problem with freedom. I'm saying that there are (possibly) problems with the tools we use to verify the freedom of files and I would like to help solve those problems or find a temporary workaround for them.

[1] "... this license document, but changing it is not allowed." So those terms do apply to the the file, not only to the license.