Re: [gNewSense-users] Another usplash mockup

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Another usplash mockup
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 22:55:11 +0200

Bruno Miguel wrote:
I've "stolen" part of your idea and heres the result. Bare in mind
this is just a mock-up, nothing polished or no way finished.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:28 PM, briareoh <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi

Cool!! Could you also send the source file, please?

Here is the .svg source. The progressbar is an embedded PNG-format image.
Cheers

Tough choice at the moment.

I like briareoh's Ubuntu-like GNOME-big-widget-style simple elegance. I think it's good to keep the capitalization in the name, since it's kind of part it.

Bruno's design is a bit more original. Having the logo in it's true colors brings out gNewSense's brand/identity better, but somehow I find it less attractive. Maybe it could be livened up a little with some subtle graphical effect. Can usplash be localized (and can we borrow the localizations from some other project)? Otherwise, it might be better to leave the "Loading" text off.

You were probably both still getting to this, but I'll suggest it anyway: the name could do with a bit of wow. I'm not an artist in any way, so the only effects that spring to mind are the ones that seem to be fashionable these days: - the 'round' effect, like the progress bar (and what Ubuntu has in it's usplash I believe)
- the reflective floor effect

I'm just brainstorming. I'm sure you (having some actual graphical talent) can come up with much better stuff. Keep up the good work.