RE: [gNewSense-users] Suggestion on linux-ubuntu-modules (wireless)

From: Ivan Camilo Jimenez Perez
Subject: RE: [gNewSense-users] Suggestion on linux-ubuntu-modules (wireless)
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 20:48:43 -0500

Hi,

According to the research I've done, and the info at
http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/cards.html rt2x00 is 100% free
software and is still included in DeltaH (try modinfo rt2400pci).

On the other hand, only ath5k (included in linux 2.6.25, see
http://linuxwireless.org) and prism54 (with FreeMAC) are replacing the blobs
with free software. From
http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/badcards.html "[...] Not
supported, and it would be very hard to do so: TI, Intel, Prism GT"

But actually, it is about the amount of work and time required to verify each
file in drivers that I think are going to remain the same in the life cycle of
Hardy (I may be wrong); so assuming the blobs gets replaced, I don't know it
will be backported to DeltaH.

Anyway, if it isn't acceptable in the KFV, I'm going to verify each file, just
it will take more time.

Iván Jiménez