Re: [gNewSense-users] Sound & video problems

From: Eric Padman
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Sound & video problems
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 02:27:34 +1200

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 15:40 +0200, Carsten Agger wrote:
> OK, so I installed gNewSense, making the switch from Ubuntu, and all in
> all, the system is really very nice and stable.
>
> A few things,
>
> - Sound doesn't work. The system seems to claim there's no sound card
> detected. Only I *thought* (and the error may be mine) that my sound
> card was a basic SB-compatible thing for which free drivers would be
> available - fwiw, it's a  ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB4x0, according to
> "lspci".
>
> - YouTube videos, i.e., embedded Flash videos, don't display. I've got
> gnash and the plugin installed, and flash animations (e.g., ads on
> newspaper sites) are displayed fine, but embedded Flash/YouTube things
> come up blank and it's not possible to play them.
>
> - Wireless Internet doesn't work (not sure I expected it to, but
> then ...), at least not with the D-Link USB device I used to test.
>
> Anyone knows if there's fixes for these things?
>
> br
> Carsten

Hi,

As far as I know all alsa modules have been removed because they are
included in the linux-ubuntu-modules package which also contains
non-free firmware. There is a wiki page at
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Ubuntu-hardy-linux-ubuntu-modules-2-6-24-16-23--ubuntu
 that follows the checking of the freedom of files in this package and once
that has been completed I guess a new package will be created with only the
free kernel modules.

For gnash, you will need gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg which will have the codecs
for YouTube etc.

As for wireless, I don't know so maybe someone else can help you out
there.

Cheers,
Eric (MentalNotes)