Re: [gNewSense-users] Dual CPU recognition?

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Dual CPU recognition?
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 01:10:20 -0400

> Which kernel package should I use so that I can use both CPUs?  Or is
> this a side-effect of not distributing non-free code (code which would
> have allowed the Linux kernel to use both CPUs is not included)?

You most definitely can get gNS to see both CPUs, but it will require
a custom kernel with "SMP" enabled.  The lack of a SMP kernel package
is not due non-free code but to simple lack of manpower.

I recommend installing a custom kernel.  It surely is much easier to
learn how to do this these days.  Two helpful packages to install
include linux-source-2.6.24 and kernel-package.

Search for

custom kernel-package

and you will have plenty of helpful links for how to get going on
this.  Just ask here if you have a problem.