Re: [gNewSense-users] Firefox in DeltaH and a situation with Evolution a

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Firefox in DeltaH and a situation with Evolution and IMAP
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:59:22 -0400

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 7:34 AM, Karl Goetz <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 18:00 -0400, Kevin Dean wrote:
>  > Wouldn't it make sense to simply port Iceweasel from Debian? I have a
>  > feeling that Hardy's "Firefox" package will eventually move from the
>  > beta Gran Paradiso to Firefox itself as soon as 3.0 is released. Using
>  > Iceweasel 3.0 beta 5 would keep a cleanly branded browser if/when
>  > Ubuntu uploads that change.
>
>  I doubt FF will get updated myself.

I'm not sure what you mean... Do you think they'll maintain a
pre-release for 3 years? What I meant was when it goes from 3.0-beta5
to 3.0 "stable".

> You could try and port over
>  iceweasel from debian, but i expect you'll have problems with ensuring
>  security updates etc (because of the different release cycles)

Not just that... As of right now there's a packaging conflict between
Ubuntu and Debian (I was playing with this one) and pulling IceWeasel
cleanly introduces a long chain of dependancies (new xulrunner, new
libsqlite, et cetera) as well as maintaining the changes from Ubuntu's
chain of depends to Debians... It's something I'm certainly not going
to be able to maintain. :(

It might make sense to simply hold off on doing too much there.
Firefox 3 is still being developed and would be a moving target for
any maintainer and probably not worth the effort to adapt Builder to.