Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS seems to be violating GPLv2

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS seems to be violating GPLv2
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 13:44:27 -0300

On May 10, 2008, Markus Laire <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 09 May 2008 16:32:19 -0300
> Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden> wrote:

>> First of all, there's a question on
>> whether the changes at hand are copyrightable in the first place.

Erhm...  Sorry, I made a mistake here.  I meant 'require permission
from copyright holder', not 'are copyrightable'.  I apologize for
wasting your time disputing a point I didn't intend to make.

> I don't think that question is relevant here. If you modify files, you
> need to acknowledge that fact so that everyone knows that they are
> getting modified version, even if the changes are non-copyrightable.

Agreed.

Now, whether such changes require permission from the copyright holder
is what makes the difference in terms of legal vs moral obligation.

And then, there's the issue on whether fair use that doesn't comply
with the terms of GPLv2 can trigger the termination clause.

> It's not, at least not for all files (I didn't check them all).

Thanks for checking.

Best,

Free Software Evangelist  address@hidden, gnu.org}
Red Hat Compiler Engineer   address@hidden, gcc.gnu.org}