Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS seems to be violating GPLv2

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS seems to be violating GPLv2
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 17:00:21 +0200

2008/5/9 Karl Goetz <address@hidden>:

>> ps. According to address@hidden, if your rights under GPLv2 have been
>> automatically terminated according to section 4 of GPLv2, "You
>> need to get in contact with the copyright holder(s) of the software and
>> ask for a formal restoration of the license." to get those right back.
>
> I'll take their word for it - i didnt realise it was that extreme.

IANAL, but I find it hard to believe the Linux kernel hackers will
care about the small modifications made here, and like patents,
copyright licenses are like landmines; you can step on them until they
go off.

Also, this FSF quote doesn't say if you need to contact all the
copyright holders o the work (which is impossible for Linux kernel) or
just the one of the particular file that was modified. IANAL but
copyright infringement applies to works, not to files, which suggests
this is impossible.

--
Regards,
Dave