[gNewSense-users] <define>statement, firmware - KFV

From: Luis Alberto Guzmán García
Subject: [gNewSense-users] <define>statement, firmware - KFV
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 17:38:59 -0500

Hi!,
I'm back in my KFV that i let behind, now i looked for (1)non-free
firmware, (2) sourceless blobs, and of course the (3)license.

Checking the last packages in drivers/net, i notice that most of Intel
Free Software uses the <define> statement and then write all kind
assembly language instructions, to use them on later files.

I assumed that that is free software, correct in the 3 possible ways,
right?.

Because of the license. The way they program is "normal" for hardware,
other companies work the same way, i believe that's the way to write a
program for hardware. An example could be:

linux-2.6.24_12.22/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-hw.h
(some times is both of any GNU GPLv2 or BSD, we can stick to GPLv2)

Also ask about this, it's a sourceless blob, right?

linux-2.6.24_12.22/drivers/net/wan/wanxlfw.inc_shipped
(I'll rise a bug for it, if apply)

I've found some license issues, that i'll study and rise a bug if
necessary, by now the drivers/net section is virtually complete. :)

Keep hacking!
--
Luis Alberto Guzmán García <address@hidden>