[gNewSense-users] Re: Upgrade path

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: Upgrade path
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 13:42:16 +0300

Sam Geeraerts wrote:

> Upgrading from Dapper to Hardy:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardyUpgrades#head-db224ea9add28760e373240f8239afb9b817f197
>
> Hardy release notes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyHeron/ReleaseNotes

How depressing!  Welcome to the kindergarten.  If you have 20
desktops, you have to sit in front of every computer and click with
the mouse like a dummy.

Now I realize why gNS does not support upgrades.  You have to install
update-manager-core, which is not available.  Furthermore, it looks
like this package contains some hardcoded definitions and wrong
assumptions ("wrong" for gNS) and it seems that the actual upgrade job
is done by
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy/main/dist-upgrader-all/current/hardy.tar.gz
which does some mysterious things I don't understand.  The upgrade
process as run by this script on a gNewSense system will fail at least
at several places.  Also (I'm not sure about this), it seems that if
you run the command from a console, the script will assume that you
don't have X, GNOME, GNUstep, etc., i.e. it will assume that you have
installed the "server" task so it will not take into account the
various problems related to these packages that would definitely
occur.

I have only skimmed quickly through all of this, so I may be
completely wrong.

Are the sources.list entries for DeltaH the same, e.g.

deb http://bg.archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense/ deltah main universe
deb-src http://bg.archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense/ deltah main universe

deb http://bg.security.gnewsense.org/gnewsense/ deltah-security main universe
deb-src http://bg.security.gnewsense.org/gnewsense/ deltah-security main
universe

I think I'm going to make a journey to the Dark Side by using serious
tools like aptitude rather than the "recommended" procedure.