Re: [gNewSense-users] GPL license in code

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] GPL license in code
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:40:46 -0400

> Could someone double-check about the EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL( ) function? I
> looked at it again, and unlike MODULE_LICENSE( ), it doesn't seem to be
> really giving a license statement for the file, but for a specific
> symbol. So I'm thinking it doesn't really need to be included in my
> script.

Yes, that macro is for a symbol.  Perhaps it could still be useful for
documentation purposes -- an example that comes to mind is a file with
no license but calls EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL( ).  The call would immediately
justify declaring the license to be GPL (or GPLv2 if we want to be more
specific) as opposed to (in my mind) the bigger assumption that a file
with *apparently* no license comes under GPLv2.  Correct me if I am
wrong here.