Re: [gNewSense-users] BSD code

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] BSD code
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:48:22 -0400

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Karl Goetz <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 15:03 -0500, Luis Alberto Guzmán García wrote:
>  > In may personal point of view we just accept it.
>  > Where are working on building a free distro, and if that is free
>  > software is free. I think is fine to the distro.
>  > Not sure if that incompatibility would affect "the distro".
>  > I suggest we put it as free. And keep the work going.
>  >

>  incompatible code is code we cant distribute in binary form, so although
>  its otherwse free, its not free to distribute.
>  kk

This is the same issue that happens with cdrtools. The software is
entirely free, without question, just incompatible.

It's why I prefer the ISC license or 3-clause BSD, it's just much simpler. :)

Has anyone contacted the copyright holder on this? Most BSD-licensed
code will be easily re-licensed under the GPL-compatible 3-clause if
requested.