Re: [gNewSense-users] KFV: GPL without version - does COPYING apply or n

From: Markus Laire
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] KFV: GPL without version - does COPYING apply or not?
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:53:36 +0300

Sam Geeraerts wrote:
Markus Laire wrote:
I just finished section drivers/watchdog

There were three files where license mentioned GPL but not any version nor the COPYING file.

Since I'm not sure whether COPYING file applies in these cases or not, I decided to mark these three cases as "GPL (only GPLv2 if COPYING applies)".

Is this OK?

Just "GPL" means "GPL, any version", so it's not restricted to GPLv2 only (although for the Linux kernel only GPLv2 matters). I would mark them as just GPL.

Well, it's not that simple in this case because COPYING says "Also note that the only valid version of the GPL as far as the kernel is concerned is _this_ particular version of the license (ie v2, not v2.2 or v3.x or whatever), unless explicitly otherwise stated."

So if the file was written specifically for Linux Kernel, by just mentioning GPL author could've meant "GPL as specified in COPYING file" since he doesn't "explicitly state otherwise".

Or author could've meant "GPL, any version"

So I prefered to inform readers of this ambiguity by stating "GPL (only GPLv2 if COPYING applies)".

--
Markus Laire