Re: [gNewSense-users] KFV Mode 0.4: fully recursive, better comment gath

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] KFV Mode 0.4: fully recursive, better comment gathering
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:27:33 -0400

> Script could compare the entered URL and directory and complain if
> they don't match (e.g. URL
> http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2-6-24-12-22--drivers--ps3
> with directory ~/gNS-KFV/linux-2.6.24_12.22/drivers/rtc ) to guard
> against typos

Thanks for the suggestion!  I will fix it.

> Also, is there a simple way to scroll the license-text when emacs is
> asking for the license-code?

No, there is no simple way yet, so for now there are the not so simple
ways.  I will explain this a bit for those who are not familiar with
Emacs.

First, I should point out that a way to *avoid* this issue almost
entirely is the following:

Make the Emacs window the maximum size with the smallest comfortable
font (I chose 6x10 on my 17" laptop).  Then run the command
split-window-horizontally with the C-x 3 keyboard shortcut.  For those
unfamiliar with Emacs, this gives side-by-side windows:

+-------+
|   |   |
| L | R |
|   |   |
+-------+

With this setup of Left and Right, you will hardly ever need to scroll
any license text.

Now for the not so simple ways to scroll:

1.  Run the command M-x other-window until the cursor is in the license
text, then scroll as necessary, then run M-x other-window until back in
the minibuffer at the bottom to choose the license code.  For any who do
not know the keyboard shortcut for M-x other-window is C-x o (i.e., hold
down Control and then press x; then just press o by itself).

2.  Just use the mouse to click in the license text, moving the cursor
there, and then scroll as necessary.  Then use the mouse to go back to
the minibuffer at the bottom to choose the license code.

3.  First cancel the selection mode at the bottom of the screen with the
C-g shortcut.  The license text will remain where it was and you can
scroll it up or down with the C-M-v or C-M-S-v shortcuts (C=Control,
M=Meta, S=Shift).  Then just press Return again in order to select the
code as before.

IMO #3 is the quickest and best way.  As for a *simple* way, this gets
into an area that I am not so confident about: user interface.  What do
people prefer for a shortcut key to scroll the license text?  In any
case, I or someone else can just add some kind of command and keystroke
combination to do this, and then recommend to those who want a different
shortcut to rebind it to their preference.