Re: [gNewSense-users] "under the GPL" vs. GPLv2 or later

From: Peter and Jesse
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] "under the GPL" vs. GPLv2 or later
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:41:28 -0700

> Another way to see the issue is simply to translate "Under the GPL" into
> more familiar yet equivalent terms: "GPLv1 or later".  As it stands, we
> are, in effect, contacting copyright holders about "GPLv1 or later" but
> *not* about "GPLv2 or later".  I am tempted to ask the FSF what I am
> missing in not understanding this practice.

I agree that we should be in close contact with the FSF around these
issues. I came to gNewSense because it is listed as a 100% free
distribution. The FSF folks should make the final call about what is
free and what they expect from 100% free distributions. This goes for
the patent stuff and the Launchpad issue too. If the FSF says that they
would take us off their free software list for having an official
Launchpad account, that would really be shooting ourselves in the foot.
However, if they think that using Launchpad is OK, maybe we could do
that. I'm not saying that we should just let the FSF do our work for us,
or that we should accept the minimal possible standards for free
software, just that it might help us out being in closer dialogue with
them.
 Peter