Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense group in launchpad

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense group in launchpad
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:28:24 +0100

Hi,

As Karl said, this doesn't replace the gNewSense bugtracking system. Also, anyone is free to use Launchpad if he wishes to do so and there is nothing gNewSense can do about that. I guess it would even be against the spirit of gNewSense to restrict someone's freedom to do that. I can also see the benefit in having those bugs reported, on the one hand to help the sister project Gobuntu, on the other hand so those bugs will also be solved upstream which means less work in the future.

However, Launchpad seems to be the only way to report bugs to Ubuntu and its non-free nature goes against the spirit of gNewSense. In the short term I see two ways out of this:

1. Do not use LP and ask anyone who does so in the name of gNewSense to stop doing it. This could frustrate and alienate people and probably would not work, because gNewSense has no power over them. 2. Let people use LP, but ask them to have some kind of disclaimer text in the LP group description saying that it is not part of official gNewSense policy. I don't think anyone would have a problem with this.

In the long term it might be good to keep in touch with the Launchpad developers to know why it hasn't been opened up yet, when it will be and what the gNewSense community could do to help speed up that process. This has been asked in evey Ubuntu Open Week session about LP so far and the main reason seems to be that they want to keep it centralized. Don't know if we can do anything about that. They do have the intention to open it up at some point in the future though.

Regards,

Samgee

Chris Andrew wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I've been following this thread.  Instead of arguing the pro's and
con's of non-free Launchpad, how can we achieve the same objective
(define this), without compromising our stance on freedom?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Chris.

On 27/03/2008, Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> wrote:
Karl Goetz wrote:

 > In this instance, we would be cutting off our nose to spite our face.
 > Which helps us not at all.

 Maybe, but it is not worth the degradation of freedom for the sake of
 the "advance" of the project.  The mere existence of the project is
 solely related to freedom, so you'll find it hard to convince true
 believers that using a non-free tool is beneficial for the goal
 gNewSense has declared to pursue.

 Personally, I turn my face with disgust on acts like these and they
 irrevocably shake my confidence in the project.

 Remember BitKeeper, the situation is not radically different.