Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense group in launchpad

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense group in launchpad
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:10:10 -0400

I think there are two things to factor in.

1.) This group is not a part of gNewSense's development system.

What this means, quite briefly, is that you don't need to use
Launchpad to use gNewSense (and it will stay that way). It also means
that you do not need to use Launchpad to report gNewSense bugs (and
that will also remain so).

2.) There is no other way to raise critical freedom issues to Ubuntu.

If Ubuntu had two systems to file bug reports, one being Launchpad and
the other being a free software alternative, I don't think anyone
would report bugs to Launchpad. Since they don't have two systems,
bugs either go unfiled or filed using a web-based app (running on
their servers) that doesn't have publicly available source code.

Arguing that the gNewSense project is being hypocritical for filing
bugs on launchpad is about as stupid as arguing that this mailing list
is hypocritical because some of the people on it use Gmail, or that
using there internet for reporting bug is hypocritical because the ISP
or backbone providers use non-free software at some point.

Users of gNewSense are granted the freedom to choose. Some users
choosing to file bugs on Launchpad doesn't change that, I see no issue
at all.