naming DeltaH was Re: [gNewSense-users] gdm theme

From: Paul O'Malley
Subject: naming DeltaH was Re: [gNewSense-users] gdm theme
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:33:03 +0000

Karl Goetz wrote:
I'd like to second this sentiment - 'gNewSense 2.0' is the next releases
name, not deltah. deltah is a development release code.

I asked ompaul what it was he was thinking when this suggestion came to pass.

Delta D is a Delta from Dapper

Delta H is a Delta from Hardy

That was the source.

DeltaH is

The word delta from the mathematical source in greek used as a measure of a small change.

As you most likely know we needed to get a word into the sources.list field.

Mark Shuttleworth's words rang in my head about the expense of maintaining software deltas, we got a disto our of our changes. ;-)

It is also there to tell you where the upstream came from.

So we have a letter not a number for our distro releases.

It is also gNewSense 2.0

So I guess now the cat is out of the bag, there is another story to be translated.

We had hoped to have deltae, deltaf, deltag but that was not to be. It would have been nice if we had developers to make that dream come true.

However in review I think that quite a lot has been achieved.

Regards,

Paul