Re: [gNewSense-users] IMPORTANT: Formating error with the fmt.sh script

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] IMPORTANT: Formating error with the fmt.sh script & Problems with the kpvtab.py
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 00:12:50 -0400

> I personaly think this could be easily 'scripted', what do you think?

Thanks for the new script!  The output is clearly more useful now for
scripts, and there is less room for error, such as in the Emacs Lisp
that I have been writing.  Of course, I have adjusted my own output
according to your changes.

Replacing "." with "-" is good since it easy to reconstruct, as you
have suggested.  I have overlooked "_", so thanks for addressing that.
"_" is not as easy as "." since it could be at many other places besides
the last hyphen.  Of course, we have few options for "_" other than "-".

We already have the biggest improvements, so I will make just make a
minor observation.

An option for "_" such as "---" is ugly, but since it would show up in
only markup, the rendered wiki page *appearance* would not suffer at all
just as in the "--" case.  "---" is practically unambiguous since "-/"
and "/-" rarely occur in whole path names--I found no such path on my
system.  A URL with "---" would look weird, but it would be less
confusing than "-", since its very unfamiliarity signals to anyone
editing markup that it is substituting for another character, just as
"--" does.

However, I can understand why some may feel that "---" is just too
weird, so I am happy with just "-". :)