Re: [gNewSense-users] KFV section names maintenance problem

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] KFV section names maintenance problem
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 23:54:25 -0500

> I saw this problem with Makefile and Kconfig but the scrip that Marco
> wrote can avoid that using it correctly, the way is written we ca use it
> in many different ways
> *if we use it like you said: (or similar)
>
> Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2.6.24-drivers-dma (as input to the script)
>
> Am i correct?

Yes, except that without capitalization of drivers and dma, there is no
way to distinguish between the two uses of hyphens: in a name
(linux-2.6.24) or to separate names in a path (drivers-dma).  So I would
say capitalization or something besides a hyphen is needed in a full
path.

Thanks for pointing out that we are already coping in various ways.  I
just did see what you are saying.  I still think consistency from using
a single convention would be better.  Fortunately, we do not even have
to change any of the great work that has already been done, since the
convention would be sufficient *at this early point* to distinguish all
cases overall.

While I am aware of Oscar Wilde's saying(*), I think that consistency is
a natural albeit minor expectation in something like *verification*
work, if only for the sake of newcomers to gNS.

(*) "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - Oscar Wilde.