[gNewSense-users] Installer fails: claims disk fault, fsck does not agre

From: Marcus
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Installer fails: claims disk fault, fsck does not agree
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 04:37:21 +0100

First off, Thanks to Brian and the other developers for creating
gnewsense. It's a great idea.

This issue involves installing gnewsense-kde on a fujitsu-siemens amilo
pro laptop. Note, gnewsense runs fine from USB on this laptop,
including data persistence.

I get an installer error message. It fails claiming disk errors for swap
and the root partitions. However the partitions have been manually
reformatted and fsck says they are clean. This install was from CD.

Just to be sure it's not the HDD, when the installer is run from a USB
flash drive it also reports the USB stick partitions to be bad, as well
as the HDD ones. I also had Edubuntu and XP (cough -- it's not my
laptop) both running fine from the HDD before.

As it happens, Puppy Linux does not recognise the SATA drive in this
laptop at all in recent versions (2.1.x-3.x, while 2.0.x did). I wonder
whether it's a SATA issue...but then why also complain about the USB
flash partitions. It's all quite a mystery. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Marcus