[gNewSense-users] Weekly bugs and freedom verification update.

From: Chris Andrew
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Weekly bugs and freedom verification update.
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 19:21:40 +0000

Hi, all.

Here's the weekly update:

The week went something a little like this:

0. Bugs:

Bug page: http://bugs.gnewsense.org/
Bug stats: http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/HowToHelp

33 bugs.
This is 1 bug less than last week.  Well done to all of those involved.

If you find yourself raising a new bug, have a quick look through the
existing bugs and make sure that the same problem hasn't been reported
before.  This makes everyone's life easier.

1.  Package Freedom stats:

PFV page: http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/PackagesInMain
PFV stats: http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/HowToHelp

We have 103 100% free package sections, which is 4 sections better
than last week.  Excellent work!

We have 9 sections that need completing.  Can anyone help?

If you want to use Markus' script, to update the stats, look here:

http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/MarkusPFVScript

Any one can (and should) use it.

2.  Report on Suspected non-free table:

http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/SuspectedNonFree

3.  I'm starting to look at some PFV checking of the kernel (KFV), and
still need some volunteers, for the future.  If you think you may be
interested, can you please email me directly, at the usual place.
This work is almost ready to go, and will not be started until
Packages/ MAIN is completely checked (which will be soon).  This work
may potentially shake-up the kernel, so it would be good to have some
volunteers.

I need someone to help write a guide to Kernel checking.  This will be
almost exactly the same as the PFV work, but will need a quick point
about downloading the kernel.  Can anyone (please) help?

4.  It's been an interesting week, with notable contributions from
tyrggvib, TWK, Edi, Pete Rock, Crap0101...thanks, guys!  A big thanks
to markdarb for his time spent trying to get the kernel formatting
right.  It's been a bit of a bind, due to the size of the information
involved.  I think we've got it, now.  Thanks, Mark.

Thanks as always to everyone, especially Brian and the guys that do
much work, behind the scenes :-)

Cheers,

Chris.

--
Reasons why you may want to try GNU/Linux:

http://www.getgnulinux.org/

A great GNU/Linux distro:

http://wiki.gnewsense.org/