Re: [gNewSense-users] Some help with MainKernel-wf-Kz - PFV Work

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Some help with MainKernel-wf-Kz - PFV Work
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 12:08:21 +0000

On Jan 6, 2008 8:07 AM, Luis Alberto Guzman Garcia <address@hidden> wrote:
> MainKernel-wf-Kz
> I've been checking this package and looking at it i found this:
>
> > Export of this software from the United States of America may require
> > a specific license from the United States Government. It is the
> > responsibility of any person or organization contemplating export to
> > obtain such a license before exporting.
> > WITHIN THAT CONSTRAINT, permission to use, copy, modify, and
> > distribute.....

This sounds fine.

> and continues with something like this
>
> > OpenVision retains all copyrights in the donated Source Code. OpenVision
> >    also retains copyright to derivative works of the Source Code, whether
> >    created by OpenVision or by a third party. The OpenVision copyright
> >    notice must be preserved if derivative works are made based on the
> >    donated Source Code.

This sounds dodgy, as demanding a copyright assignment for a derivative work
is something I've never come across before, and prevents people in
many countries
from deriving as they can't assign copyright. I'd pass this by the FSF.

When forwarding a license to the list, please always include the full
license or a link to it.
Its impossible to make a proper determination based on snippets.

Brian