Re: [gNewSense-users] Documentation

From: Mark William Darbyshire
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Documentation
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 23:50:25 +1300

Hello all!

Thanks for the suggestions, Chris. I've put them all in.

Some of Chris' suggestions are quite specific topics. If we're going to
be that specific in a few areas we need to specific in quite a few more.
I'm hardly a gNewSense expert, so please pipe up if you have anything
you feel should be included in the documentation.

Something else quite important: Since gNewSense is fairly unique in its
approach to the four freedoms I think the documentation should not only
walk people through installing and using gNewSense, but also say lots
about the issues of freedom/ethics involved (for example, I've proposed
an article in the Entertainment section introducing free formats and
explaining why proprietary formats should be avoided).

Here's the proposed structure in its current state. Remember you can
always view the latest version at
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Documentation/ and your suggestions on what
else to include or how better to arrange the documentation are always
welcome.

     1. Installing gNewSense
             1. Basic installation
             2. Multi boot installation (installing gNewSense alongside
                another operating sytem)
             3. Advanced installations
     2. Introduction to the desktop environment
             1. GNOME
             2. KDE
             3. Other desktop environments
     3. Basic Settings
             1. Users
             2. Networking and Internet
                     1. Dialup
                     2. LAN and Broadband
                     3. WAN ?
     4. Using gNewSense
             1. The Internet
                     1. Browsing the Internet
                     2. Emails
                     3. Instant Messaging
             2. Productivity
                     1. Commonly used programs
                             1. OpenOffice.org
                             2. The GIMP
                     2. Common tasks
                             1. Importing photos from a digital camera
                     3. Entertainment
                             1. Introduction to free formats
                             2. Programs...
             3. Adding and Removing Programs
                     1. Introduction
                     2. Synaptic Package Manager (GNOME)
                     3. Adept (KDE)
                     4. Managing installed programs with the command
                        line
             4. Changing the Appearance of gNewSense
                     1. Desktop
                     2. Screensavers