Re: [gNewSense-users] GPL'd kernel blobs removed from gnewsense

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] GPL'd kernel blobs removed from gnewsense
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:32:51 -0500

Jeff, good to see that you're interested in the gNewSense project!

gNewSense has a policy of actively auditing all of the software in our
repositories and comparing them to the four freedoms.

I'm quite sure that you're familiar with them, but please humor me. :)

    *  The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
needs (freedom 1).
    * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
(freedom 2).
    * The freedom to improve the program, and release your
improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits
(freedom 3).

The FSF maintains a list of licenses that are Free, but actually
determining if software respects, protects or hinders your freedom is
almost case-sensitive.

For instance, several of the drivers in the Linux kernel are licensed
under the GNU GPL but since the sources themselves do direct memory
accesses - preventing the user from understanding the process of WHY
these edits do a given thing - we feel that they do NOT respect
freedom 1. Furthermore, without understanding what the direct memory
edits are doing, you really don't have freedom to change how they
function.

This is why these drivers were removed from the Linux kernel. Also,
it's why the Radeon driver was removed from gNewSense's repository.

-Kevin