Re: [gNewSense-users] Printer Setu-Up problem

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Printer Setu-Up problem
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 09:25:50 +1030

On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 18:37 +0530, arnuld wrote:
> I have EPSON LX-300+ dot-matrix printer which works fine on Fedora, Arch
> and Debian. I usually got to CUPS web-interface localhost:631 and set-up
> my printer there using root account. on gNS I can't do that. whether root
> account is enabled or not, gNS nevr accepts my root user-name/password
> combination and throws back the same Pop-up for entering username/password
> again and again.

Ubuntu broke cups. The web interface no longer works.

> <RANT>
> Google search for "UBUNTU printing" or "UBUNTU printer set-up" tells me
> that I need to have a Desktop and then go to "Menu -> System
> Administration" or to "Menu-> Printing".  I searched on 2 pages of links I
> get from Google and all talk about how to use Desktop Menu :(.

Thats how you do printers in Ubuntu.

> I even hung on #ubuntu for sometime and noticed that majority of UBUNTU
> community is totally common-sense-less. They are always asking for "How to
> burn the CD ?  What GUI for burning CD ?  Can't we have a GUI for Network
> Configuration. I conclude that UBUNTU encourages the same thinking and
> environment that Microsoft encourages:  "end-user must NOT know about his

Thats unfair and unreasonable. #ubuntu exists *as a support channel*.
Why on earth would you hold it against people that they are there *for
support*?

> syetem. he must point-and-click, even though it fails most of the time but
> end-user must rely on GUI and if he fails, the search must not return
> anything useful. Praise the Desktop and icons and click and throw the
> command-line into Trash."

Its called "User friendly" (or "Cutting of your nose to spite your
face").

> </RANT>
>
> I don't use Desktops. I use wmii + Emacs + Firefox + rxvt-unicode,
> sometimes I use Screen. Is it possible to set-up a printer on gNS without
> GNOME menu ?

No idea, but i dont like your chances (of easily managing at least).
kk

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor