Re: [gNewSense-users] Mono & gNewSense

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Mono & gNewSense
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 12:06:59 -0500

The concept of "functions" in software is "covered" by a patent. The
idea of "exit codes" is covered as is the concept of "variables".

ALL computer code, then, is subject to patents. This makes Mono as
"threatened" by patents as, say, the keyboard driver in Xorg, or
Amarok or any software which is unquestionably "free". That said,
there would be NO distro that could exist (not even MS Windows or Mac
OS X) if the existance of patents negated the use of a given software.

gNewSense recognizes that and includes uncontested code. Since there's
never actually been a contested piece of code in gNewSense it's a
rather moot point, however.

I personally stand against overly broad software patents on general
principal but don't think it's that big of an issue really, since
everybody in the world knows pulling the trigger would be MAD.
(Mutually assured destruction).