Re: [gNewSense-users] Gobuntu freedom verification

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Gobuntu freedom verification
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:07:48 -0400

This was discussed almost immediately after the announcement of
Gobuntu. Truth be told, there's a lot of overlap between the projects.

The problem is: Gobuntu hasn't publically announced what they consider
to be Free Software. They claim to use the Free Software Definition,
but TECHNICALLY Ubuntu "proper" is FSF Free already, since they don't
consider binary blobs to be show stoppers and they don't demand Free
Art and the like. Exactly what it means to be Gobuntu Free isn't yet
decided and with that up in the air, it's hard to verify if things
meet those criteria.

That said, Gobuntu is aware of the gNewSense project. Because gNS uses
Dapper and they're working on Gutsy, co-operation is helpful but at
the same time useless since licenses change version to version and any
information we have no may be wrong in Gutsy and to be SURE every
package requires manual rechecking anyway.