Re: [gNewSense-users] Bug 108- cdrtools.

From: Markus Laire
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Bug 108- cdrtools.
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 16:14:52 +0300

On 9/20/07, Chris Andrew <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> Bug 108 (http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00108) reports the alleged
> non-freedom of the cdrtools package.
>
> The bug doesn't seem to have been updated for over a month, and I was
> wondering whether we could move it forward.

Since cdrtools is source-package for packages cdrtools-doc, mkisofs,
cdrecord and cdda2wav  [1], maybe this bug should be merged with bug
31 [2] which is about cdrecord licensing problems.

> 1) Is it possible to establish either way, the status of the freedom
> of this package?

Bug 31 [2] says that "cdrecord uses a CDDL licensed build system which
the FSF sees as a GPL violation." which clearly makes cdrecord (and
also cdrtools as its source-package) as not free (according to FSF).

> 2)  If found to be non-free, what will the effect be of removing
> cdrtools from gNS.  Anyone know which packages it will break?

It will remove CD/DVD-writing support from gNS. It will break all
packages which depends on CD/DVD-writing ability.

Debian has fixed this situation by replacing cdrtools with cdrkit. If
gNS accepts cdrkit as free software, then gNS could do the same. If
not, gNS might have a big problem here.

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/source/cdrtools
[2] http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00031
--