[gNewSense-users] Re: cdrtools package suspected not to be free

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: cdrtools package suspected not to be free
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:21:49 +0300

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?C=E9sar?= wrote:

> After reading what the problem is with cdrtools

Where have you read about it?

> It reminds me the Firefox-Iceweasel issue,

No, I think you're wrong.  The problem with cdrtools is that parts of
the program (the build system, IIRC) were relicensed under CDDL, which
is incompatible with GPL.  Upstream's understanding is the opposite,
but it doesn't match reality, IMO.

This is the reason why Debian started a fork of cdrtools (based on the
latest fully GPL'ed version) -- it is a piece of software that must
exist on a GNU system, but cannot be legally distributed without
violating the GPL.