[gNewSense-users] cdrtools package suspected not to be free

From: César
Subject: [gNewSense-users] cdrtools package suspected not to be free
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:10:11 +0200

Hi people,
After reading what the problem is with cdrtools I think it is not a
matter of software freedom, but only the author wanting its product to
appear as 'original' or 'derived' to the final user.
It reminds me the Firefox-Iceweasel issue, where the people at Mozilla
only said something as 'if you modify your versión of Firefox beyond
this or that point, you have to use a different trademark, just for
the user to know it is not the original thing from us'.
I don't think this would be a bad thing. RMS said about that issue
that a logo is not important for practical means, and that is what I
also think.
In this case, if gNS uses a modified version of cdrtools, just adding
the indicated statement is not an problem for the technical use of the
program.
Or so it seems to me.

Regards.

El cambio es inevitable, el progreso es opcional.
Los libros son las abejas que llevan el polen de una inteligencia a otra.

                                                         James Lowell